Family Preservation Services
Family Preservation Services (FPS) is a specialty provider serving the mental and behavioral health needs in a community-based setting. The mission of FPS is to engage, collaborate with, and support adults, families, and children and youth in achieving optimal functioning in their community by maximizing recovery, resiliency and hope. FPS is dedicated to offering innovative and effective community services to assist in the support and preservation of families.
“There are two approaches that drive the formulation and implementation of services.”
1. Person Centered Care: Family Preservation Services (FPS) delivers services that are responsive to each individual’s unique needs, values, and preferences. Services are rendered in the places where the consumers of our services feel most comfortable; their homes, neighborhoods, and communities of Washington DC. Services are developed in recognition of person’s unique strengths and desires.
2.Trauma Informed Approach
Our services are also grounded in trauma informed care. We embrace the approach and principles identified by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA).
As an organization we seek to be trauma-informed by:
1. Realize the widespread impact of trauma and understand potential paths for recovery;
2. Recognize the signs and symptoms of trauma in clients, families, staff, and others involved with the system;
3. Respond by fully integrating knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices; and
4. Seek to actively resist re-traumatization.”
FPS services embrace the following principles;
1. Our environment and services promote “safety”
2. We develop “trustworthiness” and services are delivered with “transparency”.
3. We utilize those with lived experience to provide “peer support”
4. Consumer services are developed in collaboration and with mutuality
5. We foster “empowerment, voice and choice”
6. We recognize the role of “Cultural, Historical, and Gender Issues” in recovery.
FPS is certified and licensed by the DC Department of Behavioral Health (DBH) as a specialty provider. FPS accepts referrals from all District agencies.
Assertive Community Treatment
Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) is a specialty service that involves a multi-disciplinary team approach offered in the adults natural setting.
ACT services are provided to individuals aged 18 and up with serious and persistent mental illness who also have one or more of the following: a pattern of frequent hospital admissions and/ or homeless, history of long term hospitalization(s), a occuring disorder, involvement with the criminal justice system or who have not been successfully engaged in services and/ or have not benefited from traditional mental health services.
Community Based Intervention
Community Based Interventions (CBI) are offered in the child’s natural setting. This includes counseling, case management, and referral to community based sources of support. CBI services are provided to children and youth aged 6 to 21 years and their families.
CBI is a time limited intensive mental health intervention and wrap-around services delivered to children, youth and adults. It is intended to prevent the utilization of an out-of-home therapeutic resource by the consumer. Services include counseling, skill building, case management, and referral to community based sources of support.
Notice of Privacy Practices